The 16th C walled city of this vibrant coastal town boasts colorful Spanish buildings with wooden balconies and cascading bougainvillea, oversized doors with iron knockers (or aldabas) and lively street vendors selling artisan goods and Colombian fare.
- LANGUAGE: Spanish
- CURRENCY: colombia uses the colombian peso, and 1 us dollar will get you about 3000 cp. Bring cash with you ahead of time as atms are hit and miss. You can exchange at the airport or there are several places to do so within the walled city.
- CLIMATE: tropical - that means very warm and humid with sudden changes in weather (i.e. from sunny to rainy in the blink of an eye). Average temperature in august was 85-90 degrees.
- GETTING AROUND: mostly by foot but uber and taxis are also reliable.
FOOD & DRINK GUIDE
- MILA VARGAS | Carrera 4 #35-76: known for coffee, brunch and to-die-for pastries.
- EPOCA | Calle de Arzopispado, carrera 5 #34-52: the coffee is amazing but their mojitos are some of the best you'll ever have.
- CUZCO | Calle Santo Domingo #33-48: one of the best restaurants in the area with incredible peruvian food (i'm addicted to ceviche) and great service.
- LA CEVICHERIA | cl. 39 #7 14: anthony bourdain has been here. Enough said.
- ALQUIMICO | Calle del Colegio #34-24: incredible craft cocktails, great food and trendy atmosphere. Be sure to check out the rooftop bar.
- LA MOVIDA | Calle 33 #2-14: lively nightclub with indoor and outdoor areas. Global atmosphere. Recommend reserving a table as it gets crowded.
- LA JUGADA | Carrera 6 #3425: sister bar to la movida. Features a dj paired with live music, drinks & dancing.
- THE STREETS! | Vendors selling handmade hats, jewelry, bags and sandals line the streets. Be sure to carry cash for this.
- ST DOM | Cra. 3 #3370: a concept store featuring high-end goods from local designers. I think i spent most of my pesos here.
- SILVIA TCHERASSI | Calle Plaza Fernández de Madrid, cl. 38 #6-21: fashion designer turned hotelier, sylvia tcherassi's has a couple shops in town featuring her dramatic colombian couture. Think ruffles, off the shoulder tops and flared skirts.
- ONDADEMAR | Carrera 8 # 9-29: a colombian swimwear brand that you can probably buy on shopbop - but there's something gratifying about buying things where they're made.