Recipe: Uni + Ahi Tuna Poke
Ahi tuna poke is one of my absolute favorite dishes. It's delicious, healthy, super easy to make and a total week-night luxury! This is an adaptation of a very simple recipe I memorized years ago and have been doctoring up - hence the somewhat lavish addition of uni - ever since.
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
1 cup short-grain white rice
1 lb sushi-grade ahi tuna
2 oz grade A sea urchin (uni)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
2-3 carrots, shredded or grated
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 a bunch of cilantro, chopped
Pre-made seaweed salad
Black sesame seeds
Pinch of seaweed Gomasio seasoning (sesame seed, seaweed & sea salt)
1. Rinse the rice then cook following instructions on package (or even better - in a rice cooker!)
2. Whisk soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic and ginger in a large bowl.
3. Use a Santoku knife to cut the ahi tuna into 1-inch cubes and throw into the bowl.
4. Add the green onions, a little seasoning and sesame seeds and stir carefully folding the tuna into the soy mixture. Keep chilled while you prep the small serving bowls.
5. Cut, pit and slice the avocado into small cubes or long strips (whichever pleases the eye).
6. Using a rice paddle, scoop rice into a small bowl and arrange the ahi, avocado, shredded carrot, radish, cilantro, pickled ginger and seaweed salad.
7. Sprinkle with a tad more seasoning and sesame seeds, top with uni and enjoy!
TIP: Host a DIY poke bowl night and leave it up to your guests to select their ingredients and toppings!